From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-04, 08:28:11
Subject: Re: The One is not a number but a metaphor

On 03 Nov 2012, at 12:13, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi Bruno Marchal
>
> Sorry, I misconstrued the river/man analogy. Heraclitus
> said instead that a man cannot stand in the same river twice
> (or even from moment to moment). It's just a statement
> of contingency.

I don't believe that. In my childhood, every summer I did stand in the
same river.

Of course a river is a living being, it changes shapes, and moves in
the panorama, and the quality of the water decreased, alas, for some
time, also. But it was the same river, at least in the sense that I am
the same guy who took pleasure standing in that river.

Heraclitus commited the "naturalist error" (with respect to comp) to
identify a river with the local constitution that he assumes the
existence. But that is for me in contradiction with most use of the
word river in geography. A river is already a high level natural entity.

Le temps s'en va! Le temps s'en va!
Non Madame, le temps ne s'en va pas. C'est nous qui nous nous s'en
allons!
(French poet: literally "times go away! times go away! No Miss, times
does't go away, but *we* go away).

Bruno