On 02 Nov 2012, at 11:50, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

When I refer to the One, I think of it not as a number 1
but as a metaphor.

Well, the ONE is not the number 1. OK.

The Soul is the identity of a monad, including the
supreme monad. The soul does not change, even though
the monad is constantly (rapidly) changing. The river
keeps changing, but the man standing in it remains the same.

Hmmmmmm.... why not. Too much fuzzy to be sure. Only the universal soul can be sais not changing. But once the soul has fallen, it forgets its universal origin, and undergone quite big changes.

So in like manor, we can consider the One (as a metaphor,
not as a number) as the Soul of the universe, the Universal
Soul.

I don't think so. the soul is the inner God, the one you can awake by different technic. The outer God, is beyond conceivability, even if comp can identify it with the very complex set of code of the arithmetical truth.
At least in the arithmetical interpretation of Plotinus.