On 10/31/2012 9:48 PM, Hal Ruhl wrote:
I would like to restart my participation on the list by having a discussion
regarding the aspects of what we call “life” in our universe starting in a
simple manner as follows: [terms not defined herein have the usual “Laws of
1) Definition (1): Energy (E) is the ability to subject a mass to a force.
2) There are several types of energy currently known:
a) Mass itself via the conversion: [M <=> E/(c*c)]
d) Nuclear [Strong and Weak forces]
e) Dark Energy
Nice post! Any way that the energy/force/work relation can be
considered as a broken symmetry restoration concept?
3) Definition (2) Work (W) Work is the flow of energy amongst the various
types by means of a change in the spatial configuration, dynamics and/or amount
of mass in a system brought about by an actual application of a force to a mass.
4) The exact original distribution of energy amongst the various types can’t be
reestablished and the new configuration can’t do as much work as the prior
configuration was capable of doing. [Second Law of Thermodynamics]
Isn't the maximum entropy of a system a type of symmetry, where all
equiprobable states "look the same"?
5) Time is not a factor: Once a flow of energy is possible it will take place
6) Conclusion (1): Since life is an energy flow conduit, wherever the
possibility of life exists life will appear as rapidly as possible. The
“origin” of life herein.
Let me refer you to a very old paper of mine:
7) Some energy flows are prevented by what are known [in my memory] as “Energy
Flow Hang-up Barriers” such as nuclear bonding coefficient issues, spatial
configuration, spin, other spatial dynamics, ignition temperature requirements,
electromagnetic repulsion, etc. [“Energy Flow Hang-up Barriers” is not my
terminology – I think there was a twenty year or so old article in Scientific
American I am looking for and a quick Internet search found a discussion of the
repulsion hang-up in “Cosmology The Science of the Universe” by Edward Robert
8) Once life is present it will immediately punch as many holes in as many
Energy Hang-up Barriers as the details of the particular life entity involved
allows – this is how it realizes its energy flow conduit character. The
“purpose” of life herein. In other words life’s purpose is to hasten the heat
death of its host universe.
9) Now add in evolution which is a random walk with a lower but no upper bound.
Do you see mutation as a one-to-many map and selection as a many
A discussion of the possible consequences [such as qualia levels of particular
life entities - like degrees of consciousness] should await a critique and
possibly a revision of the above.
Comments are eagerly sought.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at