On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Again the same main 1-3 confusion.

I see nothing I can be confused about because the only point of view I can
see is my own first person one, what your second or his third person point
of view may be is pure speculation on my part and so I will say nothing
about it.

> You can only say that [...]

You? John Clark has been duplicated so who "can only say that", me or that
fellow to my right who looks just like me?
You? John Clark has been duplicated so who "can only say that", me or that
fellow to my left who looks just like me?

> John Clark would be certain that *a* John Clark would die a painful
> death, not that it will necessarily ever matter from your (the unique John
> Clark before the experience) future point of view

A future experience NEVER matters to the unique person occupying the
present because its in the future, but when the future becomes the present
just before John Clark's last painful thought John Clark will remember
being John Clark of the past.

> Look at AUDA

According to Google "AUDA" is either a investment firm, a Bedouin Arab
leader, or a Latvian football club playing in the second-highest division
of Latvian football. I don't see the relevance in any of them.

> Avoiding the use of pronouns there would conflate even more easily the
> 1-3 key distinction.

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less. What you really mean by
"conflate" is to shine a bright light on your ideas to expose their errors
in stark relief. Pronouns are supposed to be used just for convenience,
instead of laboriously typing "Bruno Marchal" the pronouns "you" or "he"
can be used. But sometimes even in everyday experiences without the huge
complication of duplicating chambers pronouns can lead to ambiguity. We've
all had the experience of reading a very convoluted sentence and then
seeing at the end "and so I disagree with it" and not being certain what
"it" refers to and thus being unsure if the writer agrees with you or not.
Now if we introduce duplicating chambers pronouns are a billion times more
dangerous. To say that "you have been duplicated" and then to ask what
"you" will see feel or want is just begging for ambiguity and confusion.

  John K Clark