From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-06, 08:29:30
Subject: Re: Communicability

On 05 Nov 2012, at 17:10, Stephen P. King wrote:

> On 11/5/2012 10:35 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
>> Hi Stephen P. King
>>
>> Infallibility isn't involved. The typical textbook
>> explanation for realism is, "if a tree falls in a
>> forest and nobody is there to hear it, would it
>> make a sound?"
>>
>> A realist (such as me) would say "yes."
> The logician in me would say "no!" Because a sound is something
> that must be capable of being heard to exist. If no one is truly
> around, then the noise that the tree might make cannot be heard and
> thus there is not a sound.

This is ambiguous.

Either by sound you mean the subjective feeling that a human can get
when a tree falls. Then it is reasonable to assume the necessity of a
human in the forest to say that there is a sound (although it is a bit
impolite for the other animals in the forest).

Or you mean by sound the air vibration, then it is reasonable to
suppose, locally, that the virbation can exist, even without human,
nor animals, in the forest.