On 11/9/2012 2:18 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2012/11/8 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

    On 11/8/2012 1:14 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

    2012/11/8 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

        On 11/8/2012 1:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

        On 07 Nov 2012, at 19:25, meekerdb wrote:

        On 11/7/2012 7:53 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
        How can you be in two places at once ?

Your soul, or 1p-you, cannot.

        A viewpoint implies a certain place, but I don't see that one can only
        conscious of one place at a time.  Consider the operator in Florida who
        operating a drone over Afghanistan.  His consciousness is aware of both
        places at once.

        OK, and with the TV or the net, in that sense most of us are aware of
        places at once, but not in a sense relevant for the 1-indeterminacy
        I think.

        But I think it could be.  If the drone pilot were in a more immersive
        simulation he might just shift his attention from Afgahnistan to
Florida the
        same as shifting your attention from your desk to your monitor.  While
his body
        would have a definite location, his consciousness would not.

    As you point yourself by using the words "shifting your attention", the
    conscionsness still has a definite location depending on where the
attention of the
    drone pilot is. He is either focusing on the Afgahnistan environment or
    not both, at no moments he feels to be at two places at once (I can't
imagine what
    it could be).

    Yes, that's the way our minds model the world.  But then the question is
where are
    you when you close your eyes and think about your childhood or a math
problem. So if
    'you' can only be one place at a time, that's just a characteristic of how
you think
    - it's not equivalent to the fact that a macroscopic object (like you body)
can only
    be one place at a time.  If thinking is computation there is no reason that
    could not included awareness of being two places at once (like the Borg);

Consciousness is awareness and feelings... Maybe it's a limitation of my way of thinking, but I can't see it remotely possible to feel to be in two bodies at once, doing two tasks at once. I can only consciously focus at any moment on one thing, that does not preclude fast switching of attention or back and forth attention, but at any time I feel to be one and only one. When I talks about definite location, it's not about location in time and space, but the feeling of wholeness.

Right, there's nothing about being conscious that implies you are conscious AT some place. Your feeling of being here or there or in a particular body is an inference (though maybe a hardwired one). So if John Clark could see, smell, feel, Washington or Moscow at will, just by a shift of attention we could either justifiably say he was in both places at once OR we could say John Clark is really a physical body and he is where that body is.