2012/11/8 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

>  On 11/8/2012 1:14 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
>

> 2012/11/8 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
>
>>  On 11/8/2012 1:58 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>>  On 07 Nov 2012, at 19:25, meekerdb wrote:
>>
>>  On 11/7/2012 7:53 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>> How can you be in two places at once ?
>>

>> Your soul, or 1p-you, cannot.
>>

>> A viewpoint implies a certain place, but I don't see that one can only be
>> conscious of one place at a time.  Consider the operator in Florida who is
>> operating a drone over Afghanistan.  His consciousness is aware of both
>> places at once.
>>

>>  OK, and with the TV or the net, in that sense most of us are aware of
>> many places at once, but not in a sense relevant for the 1-indeterminacy
>> question, I think.
>>

>>  But I think it could be.  If the drone pilot were in a more immersive
>> simulation he might just shift his attention from Afgahnistan to Florida
>> the same as shifting your attention from your desk to your monitor.  While
>> his body would have a definite location, his consciousness would not.
>>

> As you point yourself by using the words "shifting your attention", the
> conscionsness still has a definite location depending on where the
> attention of the drone pilot is. He is either focusing on the Afgahnistan
> environment or Florida, not both, at no moments he feels to be at two
> places at once (I can't imagine what it could be).
>

> Yes, that's the way our minds model the world.  But then the question is
> where are you when you close your eyes and think about your childhood or a
> math problem. So if 'you' can only be one place at a time, that's just a
> characteristic of how you think - it's not equivalent to the fact that a
> macroscopic object (like you body) can only be one place at a time.  If
> thinking is computation there is no reason that thoughts could not included
> awareness of being two places at once (like the Borg);

Consciousness is awareness and feelings... Maybe it's a limitation of my
way of thinking, but I can't see it remotely possible to feel to be in two
bodies at once, doing two tasks at once. I can only consciously focus at
any moment on one thing, that does not preclude fast switching of attention
or back and forth attention, but at any time I feel to be one and only one.
When I talks about definite location, it's not about location in time and
space, but the feeling of wholeness.

Quentin