On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> it's not a question of keeping their brains syncronized.  They will
> *never* be in syncrony.

Never is a long time. And two atomic clocks can run in synchrony even
though they are sensitive to far far astronomically far thinner slices of
time than anything biological.

> Even though the same information is sent to Moscow and Washington, the
> processes of reconstructing the man from Helsinki will not be identical;
> the non-linearities and random effects like cosmic rays and K40 decays will
> mean the two clones are already different before they have enough brain to
> think anything.

Sure in the real world it's hard to isolate things completely from the
environment, but this is a thought experiment so anything that doesn't
violate the basic laws of physics is fair game; what's more this is about
philosophy and everybody knows philosophy has nothing to do with the real
world.

>   > Of course people change moment-to-moment yet we identify them as 'the
> same person'.

Yes.

> So I think the point of this is that the continuity of identity relies
> entirely on the memory of the two clones - their shared memories of the
> Helsinki man.  There is no other sense in which they can be considered 'the
> same'

Until the environment changes one but not the other there may be 2 bodies
and 2 brains but there is only one mind, but when one remember something
the other doesn't they differentiate, but as long as they still remember
being the Helsinki man they both are the Helsinki man.

  John K Clark