On Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:58:44 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

> On Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:56:58 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>>
>>  On 12/15/2012 3:44 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>
>> 'm saying that to me it seems clear that some people did know better, and
>> that those people were Progressive. Again, you might disagree, which is
>> what I am asking. If you disagree, ok, cool, but why? Otherwise it seems
>> like you are saying that it is pointless to have any political view at all
>> because morality is an unknowable mystery.
>>
>>    Hi Craig,
>>
>>     Name some of these? I like Sam Harris, Penn Jillette, Glen Beck, Dan
>> Ariely...
>>

> Which contemporary political people do I like? Eh, I don't get into that
> so much but if I had to say someone, I like Cornel West, Bill Maher, Rachel
> Maddow, Thom Hartmann more than Penn or Sam Harris (although mainly I
> disagree with him on Free Will, not sure of his other politics as much).
> Glen Beck, Rush, Ann Coulter... umm. I only hope that they are born
> non-white, non-Christian, and poor for their next 2000 lives.
>

>     Ah, "not a cause of some wrong"... Is it OK to be "projectively
> bigoted"?

Not sure what you're saying. Bigotry is always a projection, isn't it? Is
bigotry OK? It's probably unavoidable to a certain extent, but it isn't a
useful or attractive trait as far as I can tell.

> What makes any person or group of persons to make absolute judgements?

Does that include those making the absolute judgements on those they
perceive as making absolute judgments?

> How can they imagine for themselves the absolute knowledge of Truth, and
> yet, they with their finite computational capacity, dare do so. Hubris!
> Behold, Light-bringer!

I don't think it takes a Lucifer or Phoenix to see that abolishing slavery
at all costs was a better option than preserving it at all costs. Sometimes
there are moments when it comes down to that. It doesn't take infinite
wisdom to see that having a handful of all powerful wealthy overlords rule
over billions of people living in various states of alienation and poverty.

I'm not saying these kinds of things weren't inevitable or that those who
rule are any worse than any other people who might have ruled instead. To
me its a logistical issue. There is currently a condition where the
mathematics of population, technology, and the distribution of resources
makes a catastrophic inequality without some sort of intervention.
Personally I don't think that there is any hope of that - I think it's all
going to continue to get worse and worse for everyone...but I could be
wrong and I hope that I am. Surprises have happened before.

Craig