On 12/16/2012 12:48 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

        Yeah, but we happen to be siting in the 21st century using the
    knowledge that has accumulated by science and so forth to pass
    judgement on people that did not have our current capacity and we
    can claim to not be bigoted? NO!

Who said anything about us not being bigoted? That doesn't mean that conservatives were right on slavery, or Civil Rights, or Women's Suffrage, or the Cold War, or McCarthyism, or Vietnam, or the War on Drugs, or Trickle Down economics...I am hard pressed to find a single example of Conservative policies that were not ugly and prejudiced failures which were subsequently exposed as worthless and swept under the carpet eventually. Even trying to factor in my presumed bias - and some extra to cover my unpresumed bias...what country in the world today is an example of the success of Conservatism? What policy works? I'm sure that there must be some. What are they?
Hi,

Try this. Consider a number of cities in the US that have been governed by predominantly Progressive policies and compare then, apples to apples, to a number cities that have been governed Conservatively with one stipulation: that Progressive policies are those that Progressives are in fact in favor of and Conservative Policies are those that are defined by Conservative people and decide for yourself which kind of city you with to life in. If we allow one side to define the terms of the argument, who is going to win the argument?

How does one overcome the problem of a insufficient sample <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization> in StatMech?

    I don't wish to make decisions or reason for you.

        Are we to accept the indictment of our possible ancestors for
    crimes that they may have committed to cast a shadow on our lives?
    Really?

It's not a matter of placing blame. Again - anyone in their place would likely have done the same thing. The issue is how to move forward given the inevitable consequences of what happened up to this point.

    What choice did you or I have in the nature and behavior of our
    respective possible ancestors? I had just as much choice as I have
    of the color of the skin I was born with! So what does the
    "lottery of life" have to do with things?

Aha, now you know how it might feel to be judged on the color of your skin or your sexual orientation.

    OK. I rest my case.

--
Onward!

Stephen