On 12/16/2012 10:35 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:55:07 AM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

    On 12/16/2012 12:48 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

            Yeah, but we happen to be siting in the 21st century
        using the knowledge that has accumulated by science and so
        forth to pass judgement on people that did not have our
        current capacity and we can claim to not be bigoted? NO!

    Who said anything about us not being bigoted? That doesn't mean
    that conservatives were right on slavery, or Civil Rights, or
    Women's Suffrage, or the Cold War, or McCarthyism, or Vietnam, or
    the War on Drugs, or Trickle Down economics...I am hard pressed
    to find a single example of Conservative policies that were not
    ugly and prejudiced failures which were subsequently exposed as
    worthless and swept under the carpet eventually. Even trying to
    factor in my presumed bias - and some extra to cover my
    unpresumed bias...what country in the world today is an example
    of the success of Conservatism? What policy works? I'm sure that
    there must be some. What are they?
    Hi,

        Try this. Consider a number of cities in the US that have been
    governed by predominantly Progressive policies and compare then,
    apples to apples, to a number cities that have been governed
    Conservatively with one stipulation: that Progressive policies are
    those that Progressives are in fact in favor of and Conservative
    Policies are those that are defined by Conservative people and
    decide for yourself which kind of city you with to life in. If we
    allow one side to define the terms of the argument, who is going
    to win the argument?

I wouldn't know which cities have been governed which way or what the differences are. There are big expensive cities and not as big, not as expensive cities. Otherwise I don't see much difference in quality of life in US cities, certainly none that I could attribute to any particular leadership slant. I have not been to Houston but if I had to guess I would say that it has developed under more consistently conservative politics than San Francisco. I would choose to live in San Francisco if I could afford it - but I can't because it is one of the most desirable real estate markets in the world.

Hi Craig,

I have visited S.F. It was a trash heap, IMHO. My main point here is that we at least are making judgements based on accessible data and interpretational theories that have not been shown to be false. How many times does it take to know for sure that running up debt is not how one balances one's budget? We know that "expenditures almost always rise to overcome added income", because there are no inherent bounds on expenditures, while there are always inherent bounds on resources.

        How does one overcome the problem of a insufficient sample
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization> in StatMech?

        I don't wish to make decisions or reason for you.

Is there a sufficient sample to look at?

    Do you want me to think for you? Learn to use your own brain!

--
Onward!

Stephen