On Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:55:07 AM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

>  On 12/16/2012 12:48 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
>      Yeah, but we happen to be siting in the 21st century using the
>> knowledge that has accumulated by science and so forth to pass judgement on
>> people that did not have our current capacity and we can claim to not be
>> bigoted? NO!
>>

> Who said anything about us not being bigoted? That doesn't mean that
> conservatives were right on slavery, or Civil Rights, or Women's Suffrage,
> or the Cold War, or McCarthyism, or Vietnam, or the War on Drugs, or
> Trickle Down economics...I am hard pressed to find a single example of
> Conservative policies that were not ugly and prejudiced failures which were
> subsequently exposed as worthless and swept under the carpet eventually.
> Even trying to factor in my presumed bias - and some extra to cover my
> unpresumed bias...what country in the world today is an example of the
> success of Conservatism? What policy works? I'm sure that there must be
> some. What are they?
>
> Hi,
>
>     Try this. Consider a number of cities in the US that have been
> governed by predominantly Progressive policies and compare then, apples to
> apples, to a number cities that have been governed Conservatively with one
> stipulation: that Progressive policies are those that Progressives are in
> fact in favor of and Conservative Policies are those that are defined by
> Conservative people and decide for yourself which kind of city you with to
> life in. If we allow one side to define the terms of the argument, who is
> going to win the argument?

I wouldn't know which cities have been governed which way or what the
differences are. There are big expensive cities and not as big, not as
expensive cities. Otherwise I don't see much difference in quality of life
in US cities, certainly none that I could attribute to any particular
leadership slant. I have not been to Houston but if I had to guess I would
say that it has developed under more consistently conservative politics
than San Francisco. I would choose to live in San Francisco if I could
afford it - but I can't because it is one of the most desirable real estate
markets in the world.

>     How does one overcome the problem of a insufficient
> sample<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization>in StatMech?
>
>     I don't wish to make decisions or reason for you.

Is there a sufficient sample to look at?

>>      Are we to accept the indictment of our possible ancestors for crimes
>> that they may have committed to cast a shadow on our lives? Really?
>>

> It's not a matter of placing blame. Again - anyone in their place would
> likely have done the same thing. The issue is how to move forward given the
> inevitable consequences of what happened up to this point.
>

>> What choice did you or I have in the nature and behavior of our
>> respective possible ancestors? I had just as much choice as I have of the
>> color of the skin I was born with! So what does the "lottery of life" have
>> to do with things?
>>

> Aha, now you know how it might feel to be judged on the color of your skin
> or your sexual orientation.
>

>     OK. I rest my case.

OK. Time for breakfast!