On 12/15/2012 9:50 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > Brent Meeker appreciates John Clark's concern with pronouns.

John Clark is happy to read that but is somewhat skeptical it is true.

    > I think it needs to put in the context of QM, which is what Bruno is
proposing to
    explain.  Suppose Bruno is Helsinki and he steps in a transporter and it
sends him
to Washington.

As John Clark has said people just can not help themselves, in order to express vague flabby philosophical ideas personal pronouns simply must be used to hide their vacuous nature at their heart. John Clark is going to rephrase the above by excising the cancerous pronouns "suppose Bruno is in Helsinki and Bruno steps into a transporter and it sends Bruno to Washington". Already much of the mystery is gone and things are much clearer, but there is still ambiguity about the nature of the transporter. If the transporter is a airplane then when Bruno goes to Washington Bruno is no longer in Helsinki, however if the transporter is a duplicating machine then when Bruno goes to Washington Bruno remains in Helsinki.

    > That Bruno, Bruno_w goes back to Helsinki, gets in the transporter again
and it
    sends him to Moscow. That Bruno_wm goes back to Helsinki and repeats this
process
    many times.  Eventually Bruno_wmwwmwmmmww...mwm concludes that the
transporter seems
    to be random and just sends him to Washington or Moscow at random with
probability 1/2.

Brent Meeker just said that the machine would send Bruno to Washington AND Moscow many times,

Once for each start from Helsinki.

and then in the very next sentence Brent Meeker says that the machine would send Bruno to Washington OR Moscow;

I wrote, "Bruno_wmwwmwmmmww...mwm concludes that the transporter seems to be random and just sends him to Washington or Moscow."

and if Bruno had seen wmwwmwmmmww...mwm then Bruno has certainly seen Washington AND Moscow. Of course this absurdity

What's absurd about visiting Washington and Moscow many times, always starting from Helsinki. I'll bet there are several Finnish airline pilots who have done exactly that. I think you must be listening to voices in your head, instead reading what's written.

can be covered up, and that's where personal pronouns come in, although John Clark thinks the disguise doesn't work very well, lipstick can't brink a corpse back to life and personal pronouns can't give focus to bad ideas.

And John Clark is confused about what direction Brent Meeker believes one should look to understand this issue, from the present to the past or from the present to the future. John Clark believes that the important thing is that no matter how many iterations are done all those Bruno's remember being Bruno in Helsinki long before Bruno had even seen a duplicating chamber, and that's why all of them, although different from each other, are all equally Bruno.

Did I say there was a duplicating chamber??

Brent

  John K Clark