Hi Alberto G. Corona

These days, anything that smacks of authority is trashed.

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/16/2013
From: Alberto G. Corona
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-16, 03:51:58
Subject: Re: Math-> Computation-> Mind -> Geometry -> Space -> Matter

Yep.
May be because as I say from time to time, we can not live without dogmas or
else there would be no human collaboration, so no human society could exist
whatsoever. The mind was made for that purpose,. Then innately, its notion of
truth is not neutral, it is linked to values. We can not avoid that. ?hat? why
assumptions or premises, slowly become dogmas.?

There are funny examples. Democracy for example, can not be just a convenient
(or the most convenient) way of organizing a society. Once formulated, and
specially among the people that do not accept other dogmas, Inmediately the
democatic principle becomes a dogma an a source of wishdom. so the democratic
decissions can not go wrong. Many people says: The people can not go wrong!!

economy and simplicity homogeneity principle

2013/1/16 Stephen P. King

?'that there is something fundamental that has particular properties is
unscientific dogma'.

Then everything is unscientific. because no human knowledge can be expressed
without?nproven?remises at the bottom.

Dogmas are not axioms neither premises, neither assumption, but the latter tend
to become dogmas. This has been a constant in history no matter where it is
applied. ?

Dear Alberto,

?? I argue that we can test the results of these dogmas, axioms and other
assumed-to-be-true concepts by their logical consequences in models of the
theories that can be formed from them. We just have to give up the idea that we
can have absolute and infallible knowledge and accept partial and approximate
notions of truth. We can see in the history of mathematics and science how is
is the weakening of absolutist assumptions that has lead us to better knowledge
of the world, so why do we keep kicking against the pricks?

??

2013/1/15 Bruno Marchal

--
Onward!