On 25 Jan 2013, at 05:08, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013  Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> evolution is complex and counter-intuitive.

The basic idea behind Evolution is not complex but it is counter- intuitive because the human mind tends to endow intentionality to nearly everything. That's why Darwin's ideas, although simpler than Newton's, too longer to find.

> A universe from invisible, intangible laws that pop into 'existence' from nowhere seems likely?

Darwin can't explain why there is something rather than nothing and neither can anybody else,

You are right. But comp explains that everything can be explained by assuming a Turing universal reality (like arithmetic), and it explains that we cannot get Turing universality from less. So it explains 99% and it meta-explains completely why we can't explain the remaining 1%.




least of all the invisible man in the sky dingbats. Darwin can't even explain how life first came to be on this planet, but once bacteria came to be he can explain how humans evolved from them, and that's a pretty good accomplishment. Science can explain a lot but it hasn't explained everything, but religion hasn't explained anything. Zip zero nada goose egg.

Without religion, science is pseudo-religion, or instrumentalism.





> I didn't say that God is not seen as grand, only that the concept of God is not a grand concept. See (use-mention distinction).

I am quite familiar with the use-mention distinction and that ain't it. If God is grand so is the concept.

How would you define "grand" for a concept?

Bruno




>> But you aren't exactly a expert on science, you admitted that to you most scientific papers are just a huge amount of mumbo jumbo, so your readers might be wise to take your views on the value of science with a grain of salt.

> Argument from authority.

Despite its many faults the argument from authority beats the hell out of argument from ignorance; and Craig let's face reality, you know next to no science and the really depressing thing is that you're not even trying to learn more.

  John K Clark



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.



http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to