On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>
>> > What I'm trying to say is that I believe you do not distinguish:
>> A) Science the method of inquiry
>> from
>> B) Science the human institution
>

> And I am saying is you do not understand that only one of the following is
> true:
>
> A) Science can sometimes make predictions better than the law of averages
> would allow.
>
> B) Science is the only way to make predictions better than the law of
> averages would allow.

Assuming we can agree that only A is true, why do you assume I don't
understand that? And what's your point?

> And it is physically impossible for me to personally perform every
> experiment that I'd like to, so I have no choice but to look to the human
> institution of science to help me out, but that would be useless to me
> unless I have reason to trust that the experiment was actually performed as
> described,

Agreed.

> and that's where the web of trust comes in that you get from
> journals like Nature and Science.

The web of trust comes from PhDs from accredited Universities. That is
the deal that everyone accepts. The Nature/Science restriction is a
bizarre extreme that I have never hear anyone profess apart from you.

Nature/Science have no magical powers to verify if experiments were
performed correctly. Their target is "research with generic appeal". A
lot of good research does not get published there because it's in a
very specific niche. Most of the articles I read are not from Science
or Nature, because they do not cater sufficiently (by any stretch of
the imagination) to my niches. It's not worse or less credible. I
still don't think you understand what Science/Nature are.

> When I read about some shit that somebody
> I've never heard of typed onto a obscure part of the internet that I've also
> never heard of about

This is getting tiresome, but I feel you should not get away with
repeating this lie. It's also very nasty towards a lot of people that
worked hard on honest research. It took them years of their lives to
produce that research. It takes you 30 sec to attack their characters
gratuitously. Maybe this research is wrong or flawed. Maybe it is
dishonest. That's always a possibility. Nobody has magical powers to
prevent that. You really like status, that's all.

About PLoS:

- PageRank 8/10
- Wikipedia page in 12 languages
- Citation index > 4 (way way above average)
- Nobel laureates yada yada (and no, they don't send them trivial
notes. They send them real articles about real shit like curing AIDS)
- Listed in 14 major scientific databases including PubMed, Scopus and
Web of Science

It turns out that NYTimes just published an article about pseudo-academia:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/for-scientists-an-exploding-world-of-pseudo-academia.html

Here's what they have to say about PLoS:
"Open access got its start about a decade ago and quickly won
widespread acclaim with the advent of well-regarded, peer-reviewed
journals like those published by the Public Library of Science, known
as PLoS. Such articles were listed in databases like PubMed, which is
maintained by the National Library of Medicine, and selected for their
quality."

This is not an obscure website by any stretch of the imagination. Or
maybe NY Times is also an obscure website, I don't know.

> revolutionary experimental results that would change
> everything if true

No they would not. You didn't even read the article. It's about weird
cognitive phenomena that take place when you're about to die. That's
all. They don't draw any extraordinary conclusions. There are no
ghosts or life after death claims. But they point at stuff that cannot
really be explained by current theory. There's a lot of stuff like
that. People that follow the science of religion instead of being
actually scientific like to ignore these things, including their own
consciousness -- the only thing they can really be sure about.

Another thing is that we don't really need to maintain a perfect
network of binary beliefs in our heads. We can entertain conflicting
possibilities. Our brains are equipped to deal with that. I suspect
creativity becomes impossible if you don't allow for this.

> there is no web of trust and thus I am not in the least
> impressed because I know how to type too.

You will be a whole lot happier if your worry less about impressing
and being impressed.

Cheers
Telmo.