On 20 Apr 2013, at 23:05, meekerdb wrote:

On 4/20/2013 12:16 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Then a majority of atheist believes in Matter. That has been introduced as an hypothesis by Aristotle (although he appears to be unclear in some passage),

I don't know why you keep attributing the belief in matter to Aristotle? First, belief in matter was commonplace.

I used "Matter" with a big "M", and I was alluding to Aristotle metaphysical assumption that such a thing exists in the ontological primary sense.

Second, Aristotle was more a dualist who believed in a teleological spirit animating things: Stones "wanted" to sink. Air "wanted" to rise. Third, Aristotle opposed the atomism of Democritus which is more nearly the metaphysical ancestor of modern science.

I agree. Of course we know (or should know) that if we are Turing emulable, atomism does not make sense, like we have a confirmation with modern physics (which introduced waves and fields, and keep reducing "atoms" into more elementary things).