On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:04:46 PM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com
> <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>  > I also believe that some isolated tribes assume everything is conscious.
>>

> If they're right then that certainly solves the consciousness problem and
> we can move on to solving the REALLY hard problem, figuring out why some
> things behave intelligently.

I don't know about the why, but this seems pretty promising for the how:

http://www.insidescience.org/content/physicist-proposes-new-way-think-about-intelligence/987

"Wissner-Gross calls the concept at the center of the research "causal
entropic forces." These forces are the motivation for intelligent behavior.
They encourage a system to preserve as many future histories as possible. "

No qualia required, just thermodynamic modeling.

Craig