On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> I don't really understand why you insist that intelligence is a harder
> problem than consciousness.

As I've said many times and people just shrug off, Evolution figured out
how to make a brain that produces intense emotion about 500 million years
ago but it only figured out how to make intelligence, the sort of
intelligence that we're proud of, a few hundred thousand years ago.  The
facts are undeniable, either Charles Darwin was wrong or consciousness is a
byproduct of intelligence. And I don't think Charles Darwin was wrong.

>  > I think we have very solid hypothesis on why some things behave
> intelligently, you explained it yourself.

We know why Evolution produced intelligence but not how. I explained why
Evolution selects for intelligence but does not select for consciousness,
but If I knew the General Theory of Intelligence I'd be the richest man who
ever lived, and I'm not. On the other hand just about everybody on this
list has their own personal General Theory of Consciousness, and they're
all different and they all work equally well; in other words they're all
equally useless.

>  > We know nothing about consciousness

So you're saying that after all the verbiage written about it on this list
and all the electrons that have given their lives to discuss this subject
on the internet the end result is that nobody knows anything or has
anything of interest to say about consciousness. Well that doesn't sound
too far from the truth to me, so maybe that means its time to think about
something else.

> >> as I said before, I personally would not work fine if I thought I was
>> the only conscious being in the universe
>>

> > Ok, but please notice -- this is exactly the same reason a lot of people
> claim for being religious. That they couldn't face life without god.

Very true, and that would be a very good reason to believe in God with the
truth of the matter being irrelevant. If someone really could not function
without the belief in God (I doubt that many people actually fall into that
category, but never mind) then the logical thing to do would be to believe
in God even though that belief is false.

And in a similar way it's logically possible that I am the only conscious
being in the universe, but it would be foolish of me to believe that is
actually the case because that would render me non functional. And I think
the same would be true of you unless you really are a intelligent zombie.

  John K Clark