On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 5/2/2013 4:39 PM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>
> " think it's more feasible to try to reverse-engineer the
> morphogenetic algorithms encoded in the DNA. We would still not
> understand the creation, but would have a greater chance of success,
> and we would understand how to create the conditions for our creation
> to grow. Fully understanding a developed human brain would require
> understanding an absurdly huge graph of interactions that extends in
> space across the planet and in time all the way back to the first
> organisms."
>
> Has any thought been given that the DNA code is something like the code of a
> von Neumann replicator uses. The base of 4 may indicate a form of error
> correction built into the language as the 'machine code' level... I think
> that treating the DNA directly as a Turing machine tape might be missing a
> few connecting steps.
>

> I don't think it's at all like a Turing machine tape.  It isn't written to,
> only read and copied.

The DNA itself is read-only, but the entire process of gene expression
is Turing-complete because of regulatory interactions. Proteins
produced by a certain gees can bind to certain sites in the genetic
strip and then inhibit or promote the expression of other genes. This
forms a Network of interactions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_regulatory_network

So we can make an analogy where the DNA is like the program in a Von
Neumann machine (which is usually also read-only) but there is a
memory that can be written to -- and also an I/O system that affects
the behaviour of this program.

> The whole organism might be compared to a Turing
> machine in that it "grows" by producing more structure and by learning.

Sure.

>  But
> even that doesn't account for the environment and culture that provides a
> lot of the information that is learned and processed.

Right, and that's why you need multi-layered thinking. But it accounts
for the process that allows for a structure to grow under the
influence of the environment and culture. So maybe there are simple
algorithms that can lead to AI's that we can teach like we teach
little kids. We already have this to a degree, of course.

Telmo.