On 5/11/2013 12:27 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
I used to participate in the mailing list years ago and this was a
recurring theme -- quantum suicide. There was some anecdote that some
guy actually tried it but fell in love minutes before going through
with it, and that stopped him. I think Russell mentions this in his
book.

One of the problems is that the execution mechanism must have a
failure rate lower than 1 in 80 million. This is no small engineering
feat when it comes to reliably killing a human -- you may end up like
a non-lottery winning vegetable in some of the universes.

The more general objection is that even if it works you've lowered you measure in the universe. Whether you-now should care about all of you-then is then the question. In general you do care about you future self(s), but maybe you're willing to make a trade-off if you're a high-risk gambler type.