On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > On 5/11/2013 12:27 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
> >
> > I used to participate in the mailing list years ago and this was a
> > recurring theme -- quantum suicide. There was some anecdote that some
> > guy actually tried it but fell in love minutes before going through
> > with it, and that stopped him. I think Russell mentions this in his
> > book.
> >
> > One of the problems is that the execution mechanism must have a
> > failure rate lower than 1 in 80 million. This is no small engineering
> > feat when it comes to reliably killing a human -- you may end up like
> > a non-lottery winning vegetable in some of the universes.
> >

> > The more general objection is that even if it works you've lowered you
> > measure in the universe.   Whether you-now should care about all of
> you-then
> > is then the question.  In general you do care about you future self(s),
> but
> > maybe you're willing to make a trade-off if you're a high-risk gambler
> type.
> There is also the possibility that the meta-me that gets to experience
> all my possible 1ps also gets to experience everyone else's. In this
> model there is a gigantic bag of 1p observer moments and all are
> conscious. Then it becomes more rational to be nice to other people
> than to win the lottery.

I agree with this.  Consider why you were born as you:

If your mom ate something different while pregnant with you, such that you
developed with different atoms, does that mean someone else would have been
born in your place and you wouldn't be conscious?  Or if one unexpressed
gene was different, would it be someone other than you looking through
those eyes?  What if one gene were different, but it was of little
consequence, or what if multiple genes were different, etc.  How much of
the circumstances would have to change for you to never have been born?  If
you admit that different matter or different genes would not make it such
that you were never born, then are you not all your siblings as well?  And
what of those born to other mothers?

There is no physical fact that explains why you experience your perspective
and not someone else's.  Think: If it were possible to swap perspectives
with someone, there would be no physical difference.  So no physical fact
accounts for why you are one particular person and not another.  Why should
we believe it then?  Statistically speaking, it is incredibly unlikely that
someone with the exact matter and genes as you have would ever be born.
This makes it overwhelmingly more likely that you are in fact everyone.