On 5/10/2013 10:34 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2013 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com <mailto:te...@telmomenezes.com>> wrote:

        > No they are not exactly alike. A tiny change in a cuckoo clock causes
a tiny
        change in the clock's performance, but a tiny change in the roulette
wheel
        causes a HUGE change in the wheel's performance,

    > True, but chaotic systems are still explainable in terms of forces and
    interactions, like any other Newtonian mechanism.

To explain how a chaotic system operates you'd have to describe the forces acting on it in INFINITE detail, and a explanation that requires a infinite (and not just astronomical) amount of verbiage isn't much of a explanation.

    > Science ultimately suffers from the halting problem. We can never be sure
if it's
    hopeless or if there is a possibility of discovery ahead.

Yes.

    > If I made a bet with you on the outcome of one double-slit experiment,
there would
    be a set of macro states where I won the bet and a set where I lost it. I'm
inclined
    to believe I would actually experience both of these outcomes.

About a year ago on this list I made a modest proposal, it's a low tech way to test the Many World's interpretation of Quantum Mechanics and as a bonus it'll make you rich too. First you buy one Powerball lottery ticket, the drawing of the winning number is on Saturday at 11pm, now make a simple machine that will pull the trigger on a 44 magnum revolver aimed at your head at exactly 11:00:01pm UNLESS yours is the winning ticket. Your subjective experience can only be that at 11:00:01pm despite 80 million to one odds stacked against you a miracle occurs and the gun does not go off and you're rich beyond the dreams of avarice. Of course for every universe you're rich in there are 80 million in which your friends watch your head explode, but that's a minor point, your consciousness no longer exists in any of those worlds so you never have to see the mess, it's their problem not yours.

Have you read "Schrodinger's Rabbits" by Colin Bruce?

Brent

Actually I like Many Worlds and think it may very well be right, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

  John K Clark

No virus found in this message.