On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > True, but chaotic systems are still explainable in terms of forces and
>> > interactions, like any other Newtonian mechanism.
>

> To explain how a chaotic system operates you'd have to describe the forces
> acting on it in INFINITE detail, and a explanation that requires a infinite
> (and not just astronomical) amount of verbiage isn't much of a explanation.
>
>> > Science ultimately suffers from the halting problem. We can never be
>> > sure if it's hopeless or if there is a possibility of discovery ahead.
>

> Yes.
>

>> > If I made a bet with you on the outcome of one double-slit experiment,
>> > there would be a set of macro states where I won the bet and a set where I
>> > lost it. I'm inclined to believe I would actually experience both of these
>> > outcomes.
>

> About a year ago on this list I made a modest proposal, it's a low tech way
> to test the Many World's interpretation of Quantum Mechanics and as a bonus
> it'll make you rich too. First you buy one Powerball lottery ticket, the
> drawing of the winning number is on Saturday at 11pm, now make a simple
> machine that will pull the trigger on a 44 magnum revolver aimed at your
> head at exactly 11:00:01pm UNLESS yours is the winning ticket. Your
> subjective experience can only be that at 11:00:01pm despite 80 million to
> one odds stacked against you a miracle occurs and the gun does not go off
> and you're rich beyond the dreams of avarice. Of course for every universe
> you're rich in there are 80 million in which your friends watch your head
> explode, but that's a minor point, your consciousness no longer exists in
> any of those worlds so you never have to see the mess, it's their problem
> not yours.

I used to participate in the mailing list years ago and this was a
recurring theme -- quantum suicide. There was some anecdote that some
guy actually tried it but fell in love minutes before going through
with it, and that stopped him. I think Russell mentions this in his
book.

One of the problems is that the execution mechanism must have a
failure rate lower than 1 in 80 million. This is no small engineering
feat when it comes to reliably killing a human -- you may end up like
a non-lottery winning vegetable in some of the universes.

I even remember someone proposing civilisation-level quantum suicide:
if CO2 doesn't go lower than X% by a certain date, a massive nuclear
strike is automatically triggered.

> Actually I like Many Worlds and think it may very well be right, but I
> wouldn't bet my life on it.

Good.

Telmo.