On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 5/11/2013 12:27 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> I used to participate in the mailing list years ago and this was a
> recurring theme -- quantum suicide. There was some anecdote that some
> guy actually tried it but fell in love minutes before going through
> with it, and that stopped him. I think Russell mentions this in his
> book.
>
> One of the problems is that the execution mechanism must have a
> failure rate lower than 1 in 80 million. This is no small engineering
> feat when it comes to reliably killing a human -- you may end up like
> a non-lottery winning vegetable in some of the universes.
>

> The more general objection is that even if it works you've lowered you
> measure in the universe.   Whether you-now should care about all of you-then
> is then the question.  In general you do care about you future self(s), but
> maybe you're willing to make a trade-off if you're a high-risk gambler type.

There is also the possibility that the meta-me that gets to experience
all my possible 1ps also gets to experience everyone else's. In this
model there is a gigantic bag of 1p observer moments and all are
conscious. Then it becomes more rational to be nice to other people
than to win the lottery.

Telmo.