On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM, <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> **
> So, Jason,by this reasoning, a sufficiently advanced technology, then, in
> indistinguisable from Resurrection.

If used for such purposes.  Even if technology is not used for the explicit
purpose of resurrection, say it is only used for exploration purposes,
where simulation is applied to explore other possibilities of existence and
being, a side effect will be to provide new paths for the consciousness of
the simulated beings to follow.  It is a bit like the guy who dreamed he
was a butterfly.  If it was an completely accurate dream (as simulation
technology could allow), then the butterfly is given the ability to
"ressurect" to become a human.  Similarly, advanced "omega point"
civilizations or Jupiter brains may choose to explore potentiality for
consciousness and thus try to experience the lives of other beings.  Such
an intelligence, existing in any physical universe that provides infinite
energy/infinite computing power has the ability to experience the life of
every other being anywhere in any universe (assuming computationalism).  If
one of these exists anywhere, the it provides us the potential to wake up
as it, just as the butterfly has the potential to wake up as a human.  Such
a being may even feel compelled to provide a pleasant afterlife given all
the suffering that exists in the physical worlds, although this point is
more contentious.

> I mention this because I have discussed tech resurrection, as, at least,
> an intellectual phenomenon, over at the Kurzweil forum. There is an
> enthusiast for technologically based resurrection, on the forum,  has
> produced a moderately, large, website, that presents this concept. Most
> people will say this in impossible, and who am I to dispute them? But I
> still find the topic interesting, none the less.

That is interesting to me.  What is the website?

> My suspicion is that there is some feature of the universe that acts as a
> substrate for all actions and characteristics and records it all. I am
> trying to peg it down to the Planck length as sort of a storage cell. The
> styllus to read-write could be anything from photons to neutrinos, that
> would write to the planck length. Who knows if it is even plausible, but I
> sort of like it anyway. I like NDE stuff too, and try to sort the most
> cogent stories from the least cogent.

Whether or not it is recorded or extractable in this universe is
immaterial.  If the universe is infinitely large or infinitely varied, we
each reappear an infinite number of times.  There are a countably infinite
number of programs, and for any given level of complexity, there is a
finite number of possible programs shorter than some length.  Any
consciousness we simulate is the consciousness of something that exists
somewhere else in the infinitely varied/infinitely large universe, and if
the universe is really this big, then someone else far away could simulate
you perfectly without having to extract a record of you.  Just running
Bruno's UDA for a long enough time "ressurects" everyone, we are all
contained in that short program.

Jason