From: Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>
To: Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, May 23, 2013 11:10 am
Subject: Re: That the mind works even after the brain ceases to function
suggests its ...

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM, <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

So, Jason,by this reasoning, a sufficiently advanced technology, then, in
indistinguisable from Resurrection.

If used for such purposes.  Even if technology is not used for the explicit
purpose of resurrection, say it is only used for exploration purposes, where
simulation is applied to explore other possibilities of existence and being, a
side effect will be to provide new paths for the consciousness of the simulated
beings to follow.  It is a bit like the guy who dreamed he was a butterfly.  If
it was an completely accurate dream (as simulation technology could allow),
then the butterfly is given the ability to "ressurect" to become a human.
Similarly, advanced "omega point" civilizations or Jupiter brains may choose to
explore potentiality for consciousness and thus try to experience the lives of
other beings.  Such an intelligence, existing in any physical universe that
provides infinite energy/infinite computing power has the ability to experience
the life of every other being anywhere in any universe (assuming
computationalism).  If one of these exists anywhere, the it provides us the
potential to wake up as it, just as the butterfly has the potential to wake up
as a human.  Such a being may even feel compelled to provide a pleasant
afterlife given all the suffering that exists in the physical worlds, although
this point is more contentious.

I mention this because I have discussed tech resurrection, as, at least, an
intellectual phenomenon, over at the Kurzweil forum. There is an enthusiast for
technologically based resurrection, on the forum,  has produced a moderately,
large, website, that presents this concept. Most people will say this in
impossible, and who am I to dispute them? But I still find the topic
interesting, none the less.

That is interesting to me.  What is the website?

My suspicion is that there is some feature of the universe that acts as a
substrate for all actions and characteristics and records it all. I am trying
to peg it down to the Planck length as sort of a storage cell. The styllus to
read-write could be anything from photons to neutrinos, that would write to the
planck length. Who knows if it is even plausible, but I sort of like it anyway.
I like NDE stuff too, and try to sort the most cogent stories from the least
cogent.

Whether or not it is recorded or extractable in this universe is immaterial.
If the universe is infinitely large or infinitely varied, we each reappear an
infinite number of times.  There are a countably infinite number of programs,
and for any given level of complexity, there is a finite number of possible
programs shorter than some length.  Any consciousness we simulate is the
consciousness of something that exists somewhere else in the infinitely
varied/infinitely large universe, and if the universe is really this big, then
someone else far away could simulate you perfectly without having to extract a
record of you.  Just running Bruno's UDA for a long enough time "ressurects"
everyone, we are all contained in that short program.

Jason