2013/5/27 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

>  On 5/27/2013 10:19 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
>

> 2013/5/27 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
>
>>  On 5/27/2013 1:01 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>>  On 26 May 2013, at 20:23, meekerdb wrote:
>>
>>  On 5/26/2013 1:18 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>>  On 26 May 2013, at 04:00, meekerdb wrote:
>>

>>>  Whether or not it is recorded or extractable in this universe is
>>> immaterial.  If the universe is infinitely large or infinitely varied, we
>>> each reappear an infinite number of times.  There are a countably infinite
>>> number of programs, and for any given level of complexity, there is a
>>> finite number of possible programs shorter than some length.  Any
>>> consciousness we simulate is the consciousness of something that exists
>>> somewhere else in the infinitely varied/infinitely large universe, and if
>>> the universe is really this big, then someone else far away could simulate
>>> you perfectly without having to extract a record of you.  Just running
>>> Bruno's UDA for a long enough time "ressurects" everyone, we are all
>>> contained in that short program.
>>>

>> To which, one is tempted to respond: So what?  If there is all this
>> simulation going on, what reason is there to suppose it is being done by
>> being anything like us or that the worlds in which the simulations take
>> place (the "real" ones, if there are any) are anything like this one.
>>

>>  Because the FPI makes "this one" a statistical sum on all possible one.
>>

>> What do you mean by "a statiscal sum"?  FPI must still pick out some kind
>> of unity; not just an average.
>>

>>  Why? How so?
>>

>>  If not, then I don't know what FPI means.  I thought it referred to
>> one's experience of being a person, but the is a unity to that experience.
>> I experience being Brent Meeker.  I don't experience being Bruno Marchal.
>>

>  Because it is a statistical sum on the infinity of computation going
> through *your current state*.
>

> But my question was what does "a statistical sum" mean?  It doesn't help
> to explain that it is a statistical sum.  But now you also use another term
> that is not really clear to me: "your current state"  Is this a state of my
> experience?  My experience doesn't consist of discrete states, so I'm not
> clear on what this refers to.  Is it only my *consciousness" that counts as
> "my state"?

Assuming computationalism, your conscious moment here and now can be
represented as a computational state of a running program. That state can
be reached by an infinity of computations. To predict your next moment from
that, you have to take all this infinity of computations and apply on it a
measure. The FPI occurs because you as you belongs to all this infinity, at
the next step these infinity of computations diverge, somehow a measure
must exists on that, which should correspond to the quantum measure to be
in accord with QM/MWI.

If you reject computationalism, then of course there is "no state"
representing you here and now, if you don't reject it, then it exists at
the correct substitution level by definition.

Quentin