On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 7/1/2013 7:20 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>   On 6/30/2013 8:09 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  On 6/29/2013 6:34 AM, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:
>>>
>>> With regard to your's and Brents' coments, how would we demonstarte
>>> string theory? A super-giant CERN hadron collider?
>>>

>>>  No.  You don't demonstrate physics models, you makes some predictions
>>> and if they are turn out to be true the you give some credence to the
>>> theory.  String theory has the same problem as Bruno's theory, it
>>> apparently predicts far too much.
>>>

>>  Too much according to which standard?  In my opinion, present
>> "monouniverse" theories predict far too little in my as we are founded by
>> mysteries like the cosmological constant having to be tuned to 120 decimal
>> places.
>>

>>  Yes, such "everything" theories provide cheap explanation, but no
>> prediction.
>>

>  But what is the basis for the assumption that it's possible to derive a
> unique set of physical laws mathematics alone?
>

> It's not an assumption, it's a working assumption by those who want to
> work on the problem instead of resting on the anthropic principle.

I'm not saying physicists should pack their bags and go home, only that
they should remain open to the possibility that some things, such as a
unique value for the fine structure constant, may not be explainable from
within the theory itself.

> So far they've been vindicated.

Physicists can dismiss the anthropic principle when they can show the
values for the dimensionless constants can be derived by some more
fundamental (non-anthropic) principle(s).

> "The Anthropic Principle is essential, if one is to pick out a solution to
> represent the universe, from the whole zoo of solutions allowed by M
> theory." -- Stephen Hawking
>

> That makes no sense to me.  If you assume all the solutions are realized
> you don't need to "pick out one".  If you assume only this one has been
> realized then saying it was picked out by the anthropic principle implies a
> mystic teology.

The way I read it is as a criticism of the hope that the mathematics of
string theory will eventually show that all possibilities (except for one,
the one corresponding to our universe) are ruled out.

>>  In fact the holographic principle indicates the CC need not be "fine
>> tuned" at all.
>>

>  Interesting.  Can you point me toward papers on this subject?
>

> Here's one http://arxiv.org/pdf/1305.3918v1.pdf   But it's an idea that's
> been floating around for a while.  The prediction of the CC that is off by
> 120 orders of magnitude is based on quantum field theory and the zero-point
> energy of the vacuum.  It's assumed that each small (Planck) volume has one
> degree of freedom for each field mode.  If you change that to one degree of
> freedom for each small (Planck) *area* on the Hubble sphere you get a
> number that is on the order of that observed, 10^-5Gev/cm3.

Thanks.

Jason