On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>
>> > Would you agree that the universal dovetailer would get the job done?
>

> I'm not exactly sure what job you're referring to

The job of overcoming the issues introduced by the halting problem.

> and Bruno's use of a
> carpentry term to describe a type of computation has never made a lot of
> sense to me.

Bruno did not invent the term "dovetailing" nor is he the only person
to use it in computer science. A simple google search will show you
this. I know you're a smart guy and understand the metaphor, so you're
just complaining for the sake of complaining. Do you also disapprove
of the use of a sewing term to describe a type of computation
(threading)?

>> > Ok, and I'm fascinated by the question of why we haven't found viable
>> > algorithms in that class yet -- although we know has a fact that it must
>> > exist, because our brains contain it.
>

> We haven't found it yet because intelligence is hard, after all it took
> Evolution over 3 billion years to find it and we've only been looking for
> about 50. But Evolution is very very slow and very very stupid so I would be
> a bit surprised if we find it in the next 10 years but astounded if we don't
> find it in the next 100.

Maybe. Or maybe the algorithm is too complex for human intelligence to grasp.

>> > you're thinking of smartness as some unidimensional quantity.
>

> No I'm not, I think it's crazy to think intelligence can be measured by a
> scalar (like IQ) when even something a simple as the wind is composed of a
> vector with 2 variables, speed and direction. To measure the most
> complicated thing in the universe, intelligence, I expect you'd need a
> tensor, and a very big one. But I don't think it will be long before
> computers have more intelligence than any human who ever lived using any
> measure of intelligence you care to name.

Even if this level of intelligence is attained by non-evolutionary
means? You might be right -- I wonder if advanced intelligence
necessarily bootstraps some form of evolution.

Telmo.