On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> Would you agree that the universal dovetailer would get the job done?

I'm not exactly sure what job you're referring to and Bruno's use of a
carpentry term to describe a type of computation has never made a lot of
sense to me.

>> Turing tells us we'll never find a algorithm that works perfectly on all
>> problems all of the time, so we'll just have to settle for an algorithm
>> that works pretty well on most problems most of the time.
>>

> > Ok, and I'm fascinated by the question of why we haven't found viable
> algorithms in that class yet -- although we know has a fact that it must
> exist, because our brains contain it.

We haven't found it yet because intelligence is hard, after all it took
Evolution over 3 billion years to find it and we've only been looking for
about 50. But Evolution is very very slow and very very stupid so I would
be a bit surprised if we find it in the next 10 years but astounded if we
don't find it in the next 100.

> > you're thinking of smartness as some unidimensional quantity.

No I'm not, I think it's crazy to think intelligence can be measured by a
scalar (like IQ) when even something a simple as the wind is composed of a
vector with 2 variables, speed and direction. To measure the most
complicated thing in the universe, intelligence, I expect you'd need a
tensor, and a very big one. But I don't think it will be long before
computers have more intelligence than any human who ever lived using any
measure of intelligence you care to name.

  John K Clark