On 9/3/2013 6:14 AM, smi...@zonnet.nl wrote:
Yes, that's also my favorite way of thinking about this, you are precisely that what you experience at any one time, and that may well include memories of the past.

What was discussed earlier in this thread about decoherence, is only revelevant to explaining why you don't get macroscopic manifestations of typical quantum phenomena like interference phenomena or violations of certain Bell's inequalities if you take serious that there are multiple histories instead of a single unique one.

What happens is that you get decoherent histories that effectively don't interfere with each other. So, we can safely say that Obama winning the elections was not due to macroscopically different histories leading to destructive interference in Romney's vote count in Ohio.

What one cannot say is that decoherence somehow leads to a single history being selected (unless you a priori asume a collapse theory). What you get is a set of macroscopically distinct histories that are decoherent relative to each other, but with sufficient lack of knowledge you can be in many of them simultaneously.

That's where this account gets muddled.  Who lacks knowledge?  There is no
"you".

This effect will not lead to probabilities behaving in a different way than what you would get from classical probability theory assuming that the uncertainty is due to a lack of knowledge and that in reality only ione history really exists.

The very concept of probabilities implies there is some "you" that experiences
them.

So, you then can't see the difference between all these histories copatible with your knowledge really existing and that they don't exist. But that's not a good argument (by itself) to say that they in fact don't exist.

But if there are "all these histories" then there is no "you".

Brent

Saibal

Citeren Dennis Ochei <do.infinit...@gmail.com>:

Given that we are elements that might belong to multiple sequences, there
is no fact of the matter as to which sequence we belong to.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Dennis Ochei <do.infinit...@gmail.com>wrote:

Yes, exactly.

> But then there are no "experiencers"...

I prefer to say that experiencers are their experiences than to say there
are no experiencers (I'm explaining my phrasing more than anything)