________________________________
 From: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: When will a computer pass the Turing Test?

On 9/3/2013 9:27 AM, Chris de Morsella wrote:

Evolution did not go through all the trouble and to expend all the energy our
species expends on creating this sensation within ourselves – whether it is
actually real or an elaborate (and evolutionarily costly adaptation) to
carefully create this deeply layered and highly convincing illusion of free
will within us – for no reason at all.

>>Of course it didn't.  In order to avoid the impression of "free will"
>>evolution would have had to provide us with conscious perception of the
>>working of our brain.  This would not only have been expensive in biological
>>resources and totally unnecessary to our survival, it would have posed the
>>danger of entering do-loops.

I do not see how that follows. The brain could have simply worked, supplying us
with answers that we acted on robot like without questioning or contemplating
how it arrived in the first instance. Why couldn't we exist as intelligent
automata, behaving intelligently -- in any given generalized problem space --
without any inner life at all. Why would evolution be required to provide us
with a conscious perception of the inner workings by which the brain arrived at
whatever intelligent decision it arrived at; which is what I think you are
stating; please correct me if I am off the mark.