On 9/3/2013 9:27 AM, Chris de Morsella wrote:
Evolution did not go through all the trouble and to expend all the energy our species expends on creating this sensation within ourselves -- whether it is actually real or an elaborate (and evolutionarily costly adaptation) to carefully create this deeply layered and highly convincing illusion of free will within us -- for no reason at all.

Of course it didn't. In order to avoid the impression of "free will" evolution would have had to provide us with conscious perception of the working of our brain. This would not only have been expensive in biological resources and totally unnecessary to our survival, it would have posed the danger of entering do-loops.