On 9/25/2013 10:27 PM, chris peck wrote:
Hi Liz

Interesting. There's another thought experiment, or gambit, MWIers raise involving quantum immortality.

In this, some quantum event at time t triggers a gun to shoot (or not shoot)
the MWIer.

Traditionally, MWIers argue the only reason they would not take the gambit is because they would leave behind grieving family in one MWI branch. They are not in any doubt over whether they would survive in the other branch. Thus, in this case the probabilities are governed by a conjunction. They are both convinced they will be killed and convinced they will survive. There is no 1-p indeterminacy about either prior to the quantum event.

Now the logic of q-immortality and your MWI analog of Bruno's thought experiment seem to me to be the same. But, the MWIers apparently treat the two inconsistently. How can one be uncertain about whether one will be in Moscow in one experiment but certain about surviving in the other? Do you see my problem?

It's a question of what you care about. If you care about the future measure of 'you' then quantum suicide is a bad idea; and generally you act as if you do care about this measure in classical probability.

Another reason might come from reading Robert Charlies Wilson's "Divided by
Infinity":
http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/08/divided-by-infinity

Brent
"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."'
    --- Mark Twain