I can understand why it seems that my use of 'aesthetic' (and sense) is all
over the place, and part of that is because I am trying to prompt others to
make a connection between all of the different uses of the word. What I
like about aesthetic is:

Anesthetic is used to refer to both general unconsciousness and local
numbness. This hints at a natural link between sensitivity and
consciousness. The loss of consciousness is a general an-aesthesia.

Aesthetic also has a connotation of patterns which are intended to be
appreciated artistically or decoratively rather than for function. For
example, there is a specific difference between red and green that is not
reflected in the difference between wavelength measurements. We might
explain the fact *that* there seem to be X number of functional breakpoints
within the E-M continuum because of the function of our optical system, but
there is no functional accounting for the the aesthetic presence of red or
green. The aesthetic of red or green is far more than a recognition that
there is a functional difference between E-M wavelengths associated with
one part of the continuum or another.

Aesthetic then is a synonym for qualia, but without the nebulous baggage of
that term. It just means something that is experienced directly as a
presentation of sight, sound, touch, taste, etc - whether as a dream or
imagined shape or a public object. When we hook up a video monitor to a
computer, we are giving ourselves an aesthetic interface with which to
display the anesthetic functions of software. Of course, I think that the
entire cosmos is aesthetic, so that the functions of software are not
absolutely anesthetic, but whatever aesthetic dimensions they have arise at
the level of physics, not on the logical level that we have abstracted on
top of it. A computer made of gears and pumps has no common aesthetic with
an electronic computer, even though they may be running what we think is
the same program, the program itself is an expectation, not a presence.

There are common aesthetic themes within physics which give computation a
ready medium in any group of rigid bodies that can be controlled reliably,
but they cannot be made to scale up qualitatively from the outside in. If
they could, we might expect the pixels of a video screen to realize that
they are all contributing to a coherent image and merge into a more
intelligent unified pixel-less screen. The fact that we can take a set of
data in a computer and make it play as music or an image or text output is
evidence that computation is blind to of higher aesthetic qualities.

On Monday, October 7, 2013 1:24:58 PM UTC-4, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

> On Craig’s use of the term “Aesthetic”.
>
> One of the hindrances preventing me from understanding Craig’s statements
> is the pluralistic use of the term “aesthetics”. Sorry for not being able
> to produce a proper account but the following conflicts will just be stream
> of consciousness for 15 minutes:
>
> Often you use aesthetics in a pre 19th century enlightenment way, as in
> rigorous theory of sense, beauty, and harmony in nature and art. At the
> same time you use the term as synonymous for qualifying taste, which is
> reflected in everyday language use, but has little relation, if any, to
> aesthetics as theory.
>
> At other times you use it in Kantian way of transcendental, implying it to
> be a source for knowledge (“Ästhetische Erkenntnis” in German) about
> ourselves; but then at the same time you ditch distinguishing between form,
> existing a priori as transcendental structure which theory studies, and the
> impressions created for Kant a posteriori as experience, which is limited
> by contexts of time, space, language, and perceptual apparatus in its
> potential for us to grasp and study.
>
> So you take the Kantian transcendental idea in part, but make experience
> by perceptual apparatus primary to which Kant would reply: “without study
> and evolution of timeless form, the arts and our ability to engage new
> forms of transcendental experience with the sensory apparatus would
> stagnate.”
>
> In other words, his objection would be: if we reduce sensory experience to
> be the primary aesthetic mode, instead of the bonus and fruits of labors
> and histories of theory, then we’d all be waiting for the next movie to be
> projected in a theater, but nobody would produce new movies anymore. I’ve
> never seen you address this quagmire convincingly. Where does novelty or
> its appearance come from if everything makes sense? Why are some aesthetic
> objects and presences more self-evident than others?
>
> Then another use you make is aesthetics in semiotic interpretation, i.e.
> that we can only sense what is pre-ordained by symbolic systems. This
> however robs your use of aesthetics of the primary status you often assert
> it to have via sense.
>
> Further, it is not clear whether your use of the term corresponds to
> mystical traditions of antique (Beauty as expression of universality,
> divinity, or spirituality) or if it is the secular version including and
> post Baumgarten.
>
> Then, if sense is universal with aesthetic experience in primary tow, how
> do you explain the unique contributions of a Beethoven or Bach? Why can’t
> anybody write/find such well crafted triple fuges if sense and aesthetic
> experience are universal and give rise to the whole thing in the first
> place: everybody should be at least as good as Bach because all engage the
> world via sense. So you have to struggle with the 19th century genius
> problem, if you reject the primacy of forms beyond sense.

That's a huge leap to get from the elementary meaning of the term
aesthetic, to the role of human genius plays in the shaping of the history
of art. Bach does to the music of Englightenment era instruments what
Shakespeare does to the language of England previously. We not only have
access to collective sense in different ways, but we embody sense in a
proprietary way as well. We are inventing the spectrum of sense as we go
along to some extent. Before we can entertain the idea of 'forms beyond
sense', we have to check whether that would be a valid expectation in the
case that PIP is true and there can never be anything other than sense.
Abstraction is a sense too, it's just not a first order sense. Cognition
seems to much more developed in human beings than in anything else we
encounter - we may be the Mozart of cognitive abstraction...and that causes
us to view the universe through a distorted lens that over-signifies
cognitive type mechanisms.

> It is also unclear where your model stands in more modern contexts, such
> as psychological aesthetics or the route of Fiedler. Sometimes you oppose
> aesthetics and rationality (maths and music) but when convenient this is
> unified when talking “sense primary”, which produces further obscurity.

I don't oppose aesthetics or rationality, I only say that music is not
driven my math, it is math which can be extracted from the lowest level
aesthetic properties of the physics of music. Math can be extracted from
all of the lowest level aesthetic properties of physics, but math is not
particularly relevant to understanding the specific and proprietary
aesthetics which make up the part of the universe we care about the most
(our own lives, in particular).

> Would you agree with G. T. Fechner’s distinctions of “from above” and
> “from below” in your approach? If sense and material world experience have
> primary status,

I don't give material world primary status from the Absolute perspective.
Material would be second order displacement of sense capacities - a masking
or attenuation of sense which appears locally as a public obstacle. Not
sure about Fechner but from a brief look I don't disagree as far as the
intensity of sensations of public conditions are directly proportional to
other kinds of public measurements of magnitude, but again, those are very
primitive connections through the most common (and least aesthetic) sense.
You can't build green just by modulating a wave at the frequency we
associate with a wave - there is nothing green about that frequency.

> then you have to accept that we can hone in on the beautiful via
> experiment and study beauty empirically.

Only because you are taking your own word for what is beautiful to begin
with. It's not reversible. You cannot develop an empirical theory of beauty
and assume that it radiates universal beauty independently of any local
experience of it. Whatever beauty we attribute through experimental
conclusions is only a validation of the utter inaccessibility of beauty to
anything other than our own sensibilities - consistent though they may be
among some demographic segments.

> Your model suggests sense is primary, but I have no way of studying and
> verifying your claims other than believing you. Your model is full of
> explanations, but I find no avenues for inquiry when I read you, other than
> that you have your positions sorted and they are correct.

 I don't seem myself as making claims so much as I'm proposing a general
schema which reconciles all of the elusive problems of physics and
philosophy. There might be some ways of verifying what I'm talking about
experimentally, but I'm not going to be the person to do that. I don't know
enough about any one specialized area to really try. My intent is to report
that there seems to be a way to put all of the pieces of the frame to the
puzzle together, but that it only works if you start from sense rather than
physical dynamics or theoretical truths. All dynamics and all truth should
be subsumed within sense from the start - even 'start' must be diffracted
from sense.

> These are the kind of of conflicts that bar me from understanding your use
> of aesthetics. The list isn’t exhaustive and I don’t demand you explain
> these. They’re just illustrative of some difficulties I have with
> understanding your use. So when you throw around sense, qualia, aesthetic
> experience; I have difficulty following because of the jungle of possible
> complex interpretations. Which ones Craig? - is what this boils down to
> somewhere, I guess. PGC

I hear you. I think it's why I never was drawn to reading philosophy -
there's too much work that has been done, and too much of it is missing the
insights of later thinkers and scientists. I'm generally trying for a view
that begins from a more extreme philosophical vacuum than has been possible
before. I'm looking at human awareness as just one type of experience in a
universe that is composed of nothing but experience experiencing itself
from infinite (or pseudo-infinite) perspectives.

Craig