On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sunday, October 6, 2013 5:06:31 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> > But if the qualia are attributed to the substance of the physical
>> > brain then where is the problem making a prosthesis that replicates
>> > the behaviour but not the qualia?
>> > The problem is that it would allow
>> > one to make a partial zombie, which I think is absurd. Therefore, the
>> > qualia cannot be attributed to the substance of the physical brain.
>>
>> I agree.
>>
>> Note that in that case the qualia is no more attributed to an
>> immaterial person, but to a piece of primary matter.
>> In that case, both comp and functionalism (in your sense, not in
>> Putnam's usual sense of functionalism which is a particular case of
>> comp) are wrong.
>>
>> Then, it is almost obvious that an immaterial being cannot distinguish
>> between a primarily material incarnation, and an immaterial one, as it
>> would need some magic (non Turing emulable) ability to make the
>> difference.  People agreeing with this do no more need the UDA step 8
>> (which is an attempt to make this more rigorous or clear).
>>
>> I might criticize, as a devil's advocate, a little bit the partial-
>> zombie argument. Very often some people pretend that they feel less
>> conscious after some drink of vodka, but that they are still able to
>> behave normally. Of course those people are notoriously wrong. It is
>> just that alcohol augments a fake self-confidence feeling, which
>> typically is not verified (in the laboratory, or more sadly on the
>> roads). Also, they confuse "less conscious" with "blurred
>> consciousness",
>>

> Why wouldn't less consciousness have the effect of seeming blurred? If
> your battery is dying in a device, the device might begin to fail in
> numerous ways, but those are all symptoms of the battery dying - of the
> device becoming less reliable as different parts are unavailable at
> different times.
>
> Think of qualia as a character in a long story, which is divided into
> episodes. If, for instance, someone starts watching a show like Breaking
> Bad only in the last season, they have no explicit understanding of who
> Walter White is or why he behaves like he does, where Jesse came from, etc.
> They can only pick up what is presented directly in that episode, so his
> character is relatively flat. The difference between the appreciation of
> the last episode by someone who has seen the entire series on HDTV and
> someone who has only read the closed captioning of the last episode on
> Twitter is like the difference between a human being's qualia and the
> qualia which is available through a logical imitation of a human bring.
>
> Qualia is experience which contains the felt relation to all other
> experiences; specific experiences which directly relate, and extended
> experiential contexts which extent to eternity (totality of manifested
> events so far relative to the participant plus semi-potential events which
> [...]

Craig,

I agree with you that there is some "building up" required to create a full
and rich human experience, which cannot happen in a single instance or with
a single CPU instruction being executed. However, where I disagree with you
is in how long it takes for all the particulars of the experience to be
generated from the computation.  I don't think it requires re-calculating
the entire history of the human race, or life itself on some planet.  I
think it can be done by comparing relations to memories and data stored
entirely within the brain itself; say within 0.1 to 0.5 seconds of
computation by the brain, not the eons of life's evolution.

So perhaps we are on the same page, but merely disagree on how detailed the
details of the computation need to be.  i.e., what is the substitution
layer (atomic interactions, or the history of atomic interactions on a
global scale?).

Jason