On 11 October 2013 13:06, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 10/10/2013 1:36 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>> Both M and W man would have a continuous feeling of identity with H man.
>> I don't see that you two really have opposing viewpoints, although as usual
>> I may be missing something.
>>
>> Of course if the brain can't be considered digital at any level (as
>> Kermit suggests) then this is actually impossible, and the question doesn't
>> arise. But personally I'm not about to embrance the idea that the universe
>> is analogue all the way down - with the problems that causes (like the
>> "ultraviolety catastrophe") - and if it's digital at any level, this will
>> work.
>>

> Even if it's digital it can't be cloned at the quantum level.  So the
> process couldn't be implemented if copying all the way down to the quantum
> state were necessary.  But I don't think this is the case.  Tegmark, among
> others, has shown that the brain is too hot to maintain quantum
> superpositions - so we can probably assume that classical copying is
> enough, with at worst a little loss of short term memory.  It's interesting
> to consider though how accurate the copying would have to be for Bruno's
> question to make sense. Suppose the M and W man only retained a random 10%
> of the H man's memories?

That is the famous "substitution level". However, even if it did require
the quantum states to be duplicated, which the universe doesn't allow, if
we think the MWI is correct we can still ask the same questions using the
duplication that creates. E.g. suppose we have Helsinki man enter a room
and then we perform a quantum measurement, and as a result we either send
the room to Moscow or Washington by conventional means. Or we open one of
two doors, say, which lets him go to room 1 or room 2, and beforehand we
ask him what are the chances you will end up in room 1? He says 50%, I
imagine, but we know he ends up in both.