On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
> wrote:
> >
> >>  if you agree that each copy (the W-man, and the M-man) get one bit of
> >> information,
> >

> > I agree that if that one bit of information that they both see is not
> > identical then the 2 men are no longer identical either and it becomes
> > justified to give them different names.
>
> Ok, so you then also have to agree that John Clark 1 second ago is not
> identical to John Clark 2 seconds ago. But things would get a bit
> confusing if I started calling you Mary Sue now.
>
> Both you and external observers agree that you are still John Clark.
>
> Either you claim that teleportation is fundamentally different from
> time passing in generating new John Clarks, or you don't. Which one is
> it?

I'll give it a shot, but I could well be confusing things/levels:

Does that question make sense given complete arithmetization of
self-reference by Gödel (and whoever else did this or contributed) when we
assume comp? Because new and old John Clarks cannot be distinguished as we
can't distinguish between "particular" machines and copies.

This is related to the confusion recently on first person and third
person.The reasoning concerns 3p formalizable discourse of self-reference
of sufficiently rich machines. So the third person "I".

However, a particular copy (?) machine making self-referential statements
from 3rd person point of view, will communicate an account of some version
of its states, and so talking histories of Moscow etc. at this level, when
one copy of a machine is concerned in the thought experiment, is valid.

But as Moscow etc. is not part of formal self-reference provability, Gödel
does not arithmetize this knowledge of 1st person bit and I think
incompleteness refutes that we can because []p -> p would hold. That's how
I make sense or nonsense out of it anyway. PGC