On 30 Oct 2013, at 12:05, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:51 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 10/29/2013 4:17 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

But this is how I see the concept of Übermensch. The idea got horribly distorted by subsequent political events. The ideal of Übermensch is a human that transcends the illusion and becomes aware of it's true (1p)
nature. I also see it as close to Buddhist ideas.

I certainly agree that Nietzsche's Ubermensch has been horribly distorted. Although anybody who is claimed as a philosophical ancestor by the Nazis and
Ayn Rand must have been doing something wrong. :-)

Just to defend Ayn Rand a bit :) :

The Nazis and Ayn Rand are ideological opposites. The former were for
total state, while the latter was against state. Also there's the
small matter of genocide vs. writing some books. Recent events have
been showing that Rand was on to something with many of her ideas:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the
stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while
the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the
darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-- Ayn Rand

My main problem with Rand is that I find objectivism childish. She was
a hardcore Aristotelian and didn't understand the problem with her "no
contradictions" dogma. But I'm a lover of individual freedom, so I
have a soft spot for her.

That's sums well my own perception of Ayn Rand :)

But the Buddhist idea is
to withdraw from the world. Nietzsche's idea is to engage it, amor fati. The will to power is the creative drive. To create art. To create oneself.

Well put.

OK, but that's the problem with the übermensch. He feels it can think for the others. He seems like feeling superior, where the taoist and buddhist will withdraw from helping the other (in metaphysics). Some truth can only be understood by oneself.

Bruno

Telmo.