On 10/31/2013 1:52 PM, LizR wrote:
So what /was/ Neitzsche on about?

It's hard to say. He reject systems and believed is seeing things from different perspectives. So he writes a lot things which are inconsistent, at least on the surface. That's why his ideas can be taken up by the Nazis, Ayn Rand, Sartre, and Camus. He considered his antecedents to be Emerson and Hume.

Did he think everyone is a potential superman (or woman, I hope) ?

Certainly not woman! :-)

Was he the first self-help guru?

Yep, a lot of people take him that way: Take charge of your own life.  Don't be
a slave.

That seems an almost a religious idea, although it may become technologically feasible soon, to some degree ... I don't believe he had any leanings towards a master race, at least... or did he?

I don't think so. If there was any 'race' he admired, it was the Jews - because they had kept a stern, demanding God and they had held their culture together against many vicissitudes. But he was an ultra-individualist, not one concerned with 'race'.

Brent
"I know my lot. Someday my name will be linked to the memory of something monstrous,... I am not a man, I am dynamite."
    --- Frederick Nietzsche, Ecce Homo