On 15 Nov 2013, at 16:49, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 15 Nov 2013, at 13:38, Telmo Menezes wrote:

Great work Jason!

Regarding color blindness, there are some palettes to deal with this.
I have a color blind colleague, and they seem to work well with him.
For example:

http://www.mollietaylor.com/2012/10/color-blindness-and-palette-choice.html

I also use the color blind friendly palette when working with R:
http://www.cookbook-r.com/Graphs/Colors_(ggplot2)/

Bruno, can you confirm if this would work for you?

Hmm... For example, in the first link, I do see the difference *in* the palette, but if those colors are used to draw thin lines, in some subtle graphic, there is a lot of chance that I will not distinguish easily (if at all) the color #88CCEE, #44AA99, #B3B3B3, #8DA0CB, #7570B3, #666666,
especially if tired during a somber november day!

And my dyschromatopsia is considered as a very slight one!

That is why I would recommend the use of colors only in a way such that a
black and white photocopy would not retrieve any information from the
graphic.

Ok, this sounds like good advice.

From your reply I notice that the palettes do work if used correctly:
your level of confusion increases as we move to the right of the
palette (where they admit an effectiveness degradation) and when you
mix two palettes, which you are not supposed to do.

I was lazy, but as you can see I mix some colors inside each palette too.

So maybe this
works ok for the first four colours.

I think so. The contrast seems more pronounced for them.

My good results with my color blind friend where obtained precisely by
using just the first four colors in a single palette.

OK.