On 11/26/2013 9:39 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 26 Nov 2013, at 00:32, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 25 November 2013 23:17, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com> wrote:

2013/11/25 Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>

On 25 November 2013 12:35:50 am AEDT, Samiya Illias wrote:

Bruno asks: "Should we search, or not, for a reason behind the physical
reality?"

We must, otherwise this life itself doesn't make any sense. There has to
be a purpose, and there has to be some sort of an outcome.

But why can't life lack sense and purpose? What logical or empirical law
would that break?

You implicitly are saying:

1) The only and certain purpose is to act according with the laws. So there
is a purpose, although not personal purpose
2)These laws are ultimate causes and conform the matter, make it be, so as
such, They are beyond and prior to nature, that is, They are sobrenatural.
and
3)All the Laws are known.

I'm saying that there is no logical reason why there should be any
purpose to life. What "purpose" means is pretty vague but I take it as
something over and above your (1). Atheists may find "purpose" in,
say, living a happy life or contributing to society, but there is no
logical reason for those things to happen either.

But we don't know that. There is no logical reason there shouldn't be a purpose to life, universes and consciousness.

But would a "purpose to life" make any different to *your* purposes. It seems that people are asking for some outside source to inject them with purpose that will be theirs. That is like wanting to be part of some movement or team - a natural desire for a social animal - except they want it to be a transcendent team, the best team that anyone can be on, better than everyone else's team.

Brent

And there might be deep reason, yet arithmetical reasons,  why we can live
happy lives.
Like they might be also reasons that it might not yet be as simple as some would like to thought.

Stathis Papaioannou