On 18 Dec 2013, at 21:57, Stephen Paul King wrote:

Hi LizR,

I would like to say that as a philosopher I have one problem with Bruno's assumptions: There is no explanation for how any form of change and interaction obtains.

This is not a problem with the assumption. It is the problem we try to formulate in the frame of those assumption.

You could say that you have a problem ith string theory, because it assumes pizza are made of strings and does not explains why some pizza are better than other.

Anyway, philosophy per se cannot be used to refute an argument. You might use it to find a refutation, though. But that remains to be found.

This is the main problem that I have with Plato's theory of Forms, and since Bruno's seems to be using a concept equivalent to the Forms (in AR), his idea has the same shortcoming. It was for this reason alone that I reject Plato's theory of the forms and use a variation of "Process Philosophy" instead. Becoming is ontologically fundamental and all things, even numbers, are the products of processes. Processes would be defined as the members of the Class: Becoming. Being is the class of automorphism of Becoming, and as such Being supervenes on Becoming.

  The "open problem" of bodies that Bruno admits

It is the main result. A translation of the antic unsolved mind-body problem into a problem of justifying the illusion of matter entirely from addition and multiplication. It is not that I admit there is a problem. It is that I show that there is a problem, and that comp makes it possible to translate it entirely into a problem in arithmetic.

only exists because of the neglect of the problem of Becoming that any ontology that assumes that Being is fundamental will have. Even if we make arguments, ala Parmenides, etc. that becoming is an illusion, the "illusion" itself must be explained or else one is left with an explanatory infinite regress.

Which is explicitly cut through the math of self-reference.

The body problem is the result, Stephen. Then the math shows that Platonism/Plotinism (not AR!) is the shape of all possible solution.

Bruno