On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Bruno: The question is: is it enough correct so that you would please us
>> in answering step 4. If not: what is incorrect.
>> John Clark: (No answer, deleted the question)
>>

> I have not read step 4, however if it is built on the foundation of the
> first 3 steps

What is the error in step 3?

> (and I can't think why it would be called "step 4" if it were not) then I
> can conclude that one thing wrong with step 4 (I don't claim it is the only
> thing) is the previous 3 steps.

I think if you read the whole set of steps (or even just the next few
steps) you would see where things are going and wouldn't have so much
trouble understanding the point of the third step.

I will summarize them for you here:

1: Teleportation is survivable
2: Teleportation with a time delay is survivable, and the time delay is
imperceptible to the person teleported
3. Duplication (teleportation to two locations: one intended and one
unintended) is survivable, and following duplication there is a 50% chance
of finding oneself at the intended destination
4. Duplication with delay changes nothing.  If duplicate to the intended
destination, and then a year later duplicated to the unintended
destination, subjectively there is still a 50% chance of finding oneself at
the intended destination
5. Teleportation without destroying the original is equivalent to the
duplication with delay.  If someone creates a copy of you somewhere, there
is a 50% chance you will find yourself in that alternate location.
6. If a virtual copy of you is instantiated in a computer somewhere, then
as in step 5, there is a 50% chance you will find yourself trapped in that
computer simulation.
7. A computer with enough time and memory, that iteratively executes all
programs in parallel will "kidnap" everyone, since all observers everywhere
(in all universes) will eventually find themselves to be in this computer
8. There is no need to build the computer in step 7, since the executions
of all programs exist within the relations between large numbers. Hence,
arithmetical realism is a candidate TOE.

This is the "grand conclusion" you have been missing for all these years. I
don't think this was obvious to Og the caveman.

Jason