Liz,

If your question is whether or not it is possible to determine whether we
are living in a matrix type simulation I believe it is because we would not
just be living in the simulation but in the entire reality in which the
simulation is being produced. Thus given human level intelligence, and
human level capability to explore reality, the simulated being should be
able to discover cues that give the simulation away.

Since we can determine the curvature of the space we live in without seeing
it from the outside (angles of triangles) we should be able to determine
the nature of any simulation we lived in as well.

Because there is NO evidence whatsoever that we do live in a simulation,
AND the fact that it's an enormously non-parsimonious theory that adds an
entire new level of reality inhabited by super beings with completely
unlikely technologies on top of a universe which is already plenty complex,
it is incredibly unlikely that we do live in a simulation, and absent any
evidence at all for it I at least think it's a waste of time to give much
thought to it no matter how 'cool' it might seem to sci fi fans.

Edgar