I tend not to consider that a brain is a digital computer. The most
accurate analogy is that a brain is a _program_ made of different
processes that run certain specific algorithms, some of them fixed and
certain of them capable of learning by various methods. And finally
some of them can execute an unconscious selection game of try an error
with matching ideas. And that is only the beginning. probably at the
neural level the processing is not as simple as the AI experts
suppose. Such program made of processes and minute details, created by
a genetic program that determine the architecture. And don't forget
the learning process in childhood that influence also the connections
and weights of some constants.

Of all of this, we know almost nothing.

So it happens like in all biological systems. At first, everything
looks simple. when you go down in the details, everything gets almost
infinitely complicated. The brain is an extreme example of that.

So when people say that the brain is like a digital computer or that
it is "turing emulable" I think on a stone age adolescent that cut a
tree to cross the ocean. Yes it is theoretically possible, little
ignorant, but donĀ“t make me laugh.

2014/1/16, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>:
> On 16 January 2014 16:26, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The computational metaphor in the sense of the brain works like the Intel
>> CPU inside the box on your desk is clearly misleading, but the sense that
>> computer can in theory do everything your brain can do is almost
>> certainly
>> correct. It is not that the brain is like a computer, but rather, that a
>> computer can be like almost anything, including your brain or body, or
>> entire planet and all the people on it.
>>
>> Jason
>
> I think neuroscientists have, over decades, used the computational
> metaphor in too literal a way. It is obviously not true that the brain
> is a digital computer, just as it is not true that the weather is a
> digital computer. But a digital computer can simulate the behaviour of
> any physical process in the universe (if physics is computable),
> including the behaviour of weather or the human brain. That means
> that, at least, it would be possible to make a philosophical zombie
> using a computer. The only way to avoid this conclusion would be if
> physics, and specifically the physics in the brain, is not computable.
> Pointing out where the non-computable physics is in the brain rarely
> figures on the agenda of the anti-computationalists. And even if there
> is non-computational physics in the brain, that invalidates
> computationalism, but not its superset, functionalism.
>

> --
> Stathis Papaioannou

Alberto.