On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 January 2014 18:03, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Briefly, computationalism is the idea that you could replace the brain
>>> with a Turing machine and you would preserve the mind. This would not
>>> be possible if there is non-computable physics in the brain,
>>>

>> Just to clarify, as I understand Bruno's theory, there is non-computable
>> physics in the brain.  In fact physics is non-computable in general, BUT
>> the mind is computable, i.e. the level of substitution that preserves the
>> person is above the fundamental physics level.  I actually think this last
>> is dubious.
>>

> I also find it unlikely that the subst level is above the quantum level.
> Or at least I think that if it's at the quantum level then we can guarantee
> that the duplication arguments would work (assuming we could duplicate
> objects at that level, which we can't due to a fundamental principle...!)

Liz, According to Bruno, if the subst level were above the quantum level,
then the constants of nature would be variable across
the universe; and that is the case according to astronomical observations
in the northern hemisphere (the Keck Telescope) compared to similar
measurements of the structure constant from the southern hemisphere. Does
your argument below mean that with the subst level above the quantum level,
comp is OK. Richard