On 1/16/2014 10:06 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 1/15/2014 10:59 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM, <spudboy...@aol.com
<mailto:spudboy...@aol.com>>
    wrote:

        Ok, speculatively jumping into the Tegmark book, which I am plodding
through
        and his 4 levels of the multiverse, I need to throw out this question.
Is it
        even possible, in principle, to physically traverse into another
universe, a
        parallel universe, and then back again? I do not mran in the David
Deutsch
        sense of performing cross cosmic quantum calculations, but directly,
        mollecularly, boots on the ground, traveling there and back again?

    Molecularly, I'd say no, but consciously I'd say yes. If we froze you on
Earth, and
    then coincidentally Aliens 100 trillion ly away from us made an exact
version out
    of you out of matter they had on hand, and then they thawed you, you would
travel
    these 100 trillion ly. This journey is impossible for matter or energy to
make,
    impossible for anything physical, yet your consciousness did it.  For the
same
    reason, someone in an altogether different physical universe could do the
same
    thing and enable you to travel there.  There would be no causal link,
however, to
    whatever memories you formed in that universe and whatever version of you
we create
    to unthaw and bring you back, it would be again an entire coincidence for
us to get
    it just right so the one we thaw matches the one the aliens in the distant
land
    decided to freeze.

    In a sense, we are performing these traversals all the time, but only
between
    distant universes similar enough to the one we are in a moment before, that
we
    don't notice it.  You might be sitting there quietly in Earth #313812031 one
    moment, then the next instant you are actually on Earth #173119389 (which
was an
    Earth that reappeared after 10^200 cyclical big crunch and big bang cycles)
from
    the moment you were just in.

    But then you've made incomprehensible nonsense of what is meant by "you".

How so? Just because you can't attach your consciousness to a particular collection of atoms at a particular time and place? "You" are something different than those atoms., as our metabolism proves daily.

You can't attach it to anything - or even to it's own history, since you discard memories. It has nothing to unify it into being an "it".