On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:31 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/16/2014 1:57 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:54 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>   On 1/16/2014 10:06 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>>  Molecularly, I'd say no, but consciously I'd say yes. If we froze you
>>> on Earth, and then coincidentally Aliens 100 trillion ly away from us made
>>> an exact version out of you out of matter they had on hand, and then they
>>> thawed you, you would travel these 100 trillion ly. This journey is
>>> impossible for matter or energy to make, impossible for anything physical,
>>> yet your consciousness did it.  For the same reason, someone in an
>>> altogether different physical universe could do the same thing and enable
>>> you to travel there.  There would be no causal link, however, to whatever
>>> memories you formed in that universe and whatever version of you we create
>>> to unthaw and bring you back, it would be again an entire coincidence for
>>> us to get it just right so the one we thaw matches the one the aliens in
>>> the distant land decided to freeze.
>>>
>>>  In a sense, we are performing these traversals all the time, but only
>>> between distant universes similar enough to the one we are in a moment
>>> before, that we don't notice it.  You might be sitting there quietly in
>>> Earth #313812031 one moment, then the next instant you are actually on
>>> Earth #173119389 (which was an Earth that reappeared after 10^200 cyclical
>>> big crunch and big bang cycles) from the moment you were just in.
>>>

>>>  But then you've made incomprehensible nonsense of what is meant by
>>> "you".
>>>

>>  How so?  Just because you can't attach your consciousness to a
>> particular collection of atoms at a particular time and place?  "You" are
>> something different than those atoms., as our metabolism proves daily.
>>

>>  You can't attach it to anything - or even to it's own history, since
>> you discard memories.  It has nothing to unify it into being an "it".
>>

>  No memories were discarded in the above. In fact I specified that the
> brain states be exactly equal at each freeze/remote thaw cycle.
>

> OK, I missed that point.  But I still see no sense that can be made of a
> statement like "You might be sitting there quietly in Earth #313812031 one
> moment, then the next instant you are actually on Earth #173119389"  Are
> you supposing that the Earth you are sitting on has nothing to do with what
> future is more probable and that some other Earth might be a more probable
> continuation -

Each one has an equal weight in my mind.

> and in what sense it would an "other" Earth if it was compatible with you
> can your memories?

In no subjective sense are they different, only from a God's eye view could
you see the difference between them.  We might not have a way to keep a
tally of how many collapse cycles our universe has undergone, but if
someone were simulating the physics of this universe they could count the
number, and how frequently exact replicas of Earth, or you, appear in them.

Jason